Petition For Change Of Name Recoginition Of Change Of Gender {NC-200} | Pdf Fpdf Docx | California

 California   Judicial Council   Name Change 
Petition For Change Of Name Recoginition Of Change Of Gender {NC-200} | Pdf Fpdf Docx | California

Last updated: 9/12/2018

Petition For Change Of Name Recoginition Of Change Of Gender {NC-200}

Start Your Free Trial $ 11.99
200 Ratings
What you get:
  • Instant access to fillable Microsoft Word or PDF forms.
  • Minimize the risk of using outdated forms and eliminate rejected fillings.
  • Largest forms database in the USA with more than 80,000 federal, state and agency forms.
  • Download, edit, auto-fill multiple forms at once in MS Word using our Forms Workflow Ribbon
  • Trusted by 1,000s of Attorneys and Legal Professionals


NC-200, PETITION FOR CHANGE OF NAME, RECOGNITION OF CHANGE OF GENDER, AND ISSUANCE OF NEW BIRTH CERTIFICATE, INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING A PETITION FOR CHANGE OF NAME AND GENDER 1. Where to File The petition for change of name and gender must be filed in the superior court in the county where the petitioner is a resident. 2. Whose Name May Be Changed The petition may be used to change your name and to obtain a court order recognizing a change of gender and for issuance of a new birth certificate, if you are 18 or older. (Minors must use form NC-500.) If you were born in California, you may file the order with the State Registrar and obtain a new birth certificate. 3. What Forms Are Required You need an original and two copies of each of the following documents: a. Petition for Change of Name, Recognition of Change of Gender, and Issuance of New Birth Certificate (form NC-200) b. Name and Information About the Person Whose Name Is to Be Changed (Attachment to Petition) (form NC-110) c. Order to Show Cause for Change of Name to Conform to Gender Identity (form NC-125/NC-225) d. Decree Changing Name and Order Recognizing Change of Gender Identity and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate (form NC-230) e. Civil Case Cover Sheet (form CM-010) 4. Filing and Filing Fee Prepare an original Civil Case Cover Sheet (form CM-010). File the original petition and Civil Case Cover Sheet with the clerk of the court and obtain two filed-endorsed copies of the petition. A filing fee will be charged unless you qualify for a fee waiver. (If you want to apply for a fee waiver, see Request to Waive Court Fees (form FW-001) and Information Sheet on Waiver of Superior Court Fees and Costs (form FW-001–INFO).) 5. Filing the Order to Show Cause Ask the court clerk to obtain a judge’s signature on the Order to Show Cause, then file the original order in the clerk’s office and obtain filed-endorsed copies of the order. 6. Domestic Violence Confidentiality Program In cases where the petitioner is a participant in the state address confidentiality program (Safe at Home), the petition, the order to show cause, and the decree should, instead of giving the proposed name, indicate that the name is confidential and on file with the Secretary of State. See Information Sheet for Name Change Proceedings Under Address Confidentiality Program (Safe at Home) (form NC-400-INFO). 7. Court Hearing If no objections are filed, the court will grant the petition without a hearing. A hearing date will be set if timely objections have been filed. If there is a hearing, you will be sent a notice by the court. You may also check with the court after the deadline to see if a hearing date has been set. Bring copies of all documents to the hearing. If the judge grants the name and gender change petition, the judge will sign the original decree. 8. Birth Certificate If you were born in California, to obtain a new birth certificate reflecting the change of gender, file a certified copy of the order within 30 days with the Secretary of State and the State Registrar and pay the applicable fees. You may write or contact the State Registrar at: California Department of Public Health Vital Records – MS 5103 P.O. Box 997410 Sacramento, CA 95899-7410 Phone: 916-445-2684 Form Adopted for Mandatory Use, Judicial Council of California, NC-200 [Rev. September 1, 2018] Code of Civil Procedure, § 1275 et seq.; Health and Safety Code, §§ 103430, 103435.

Related forms

Our Products